Wednesday, July 14, 2010

To Bid or Not to Bid

In my last post I stated that I was going to venture into the world of Ebay to get my new, used sewing machine. I found a few that I am interested in through the brand recommendations of a friend's mother who knows a lot about sewing. Her mother has even gone so far as to offer to look at the machines I am interested in to give me input specifically on those :)

The dilemma I am having currently is not on the value, be it monetary, durability and/or specifications, rather it is how to go about bidding. I started bidding on Tuesday evening and have been going back and forth with one person, I'm assuming, since then. My strategy for bidding started out as making a high bid, about $10.00 higher than the other person so I wouldn't have to go back and forth for a couple dollars each time. The strategy of the other bidder is exactly what I don't want to do. Each time "she" bids, it's just a couple bucks. This has become very frustrating for me.

There are still two days left in the auction and I can't stop thinking about whether or not I have been outbid by a couple bucks! I have gone so far as to download the Ebay App on my phone, so I get an alert as soon as I am outbid. When I get my notification I start to get anxious and want to post my bid right away, but I don't want to seem desperate. I try to play it cool and wait so 1. The other person can't smell my desperation, and 2. I don't want to have to keep bidding. I figure, if I wait until there is on 10 minutes left on the bid, I can get in a last minute effort and bypass all of the back and forth that increases bids. This seems like a very good strategy. Holding out until the end seems like a good plan, until my anxiety takes over and I am forced to grapple for a couple dollars! Ahhh! Any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Sarah Lynn... Mandy's mom here :) There is a feature on Ebay called "countdown" that will do your bidding for you. It should have popped up when you placed your original bid. You enter your highest amount you are willing to pay into the box they show, and it will keep bidding for you automatically, which is probably what the other people have set up to do. It will stop when you are the highest bidder, and will not go over the amount you enter as your limit.

    It's all about getting that last bid in! It's exciting! It's nerve-wracking! Try this feature and it will keep you from having to sit at the computer and try to outbid someone :)

    Good luck!! Can't wait to hear if you win!!

    -- Dinah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "countdown" option sounds like a good idea or waiting until the end of the time to place your last bid. And remember, there are other sewing machines out there!! Enjoy the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know my sister is an EBay fanatic. I usually ask her to put things on there for me or look for stuff for me and give her a small percentage of whatever happens. The "countdown" option sounds great...I'd try that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the countdown option once many years ago when I was going through a purse obsession...it worked great :) I highly recommend it! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am even more insane apparently (I thought other people did this too, but it appears not based on the above comments). I figure out when the auction will end and then wait until the last 30 seconds. Then I bid as high as I'm willing to go. This means I often end up with the item for much less because someone else has thought they had it with just their first bid. Yes, sometimes it means I lose it, but then I have lost it because I didn't give myself the chance to talk myself into going higher and spending more. AND, I have only forgotten that an auction was ending once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So my perseverance paid off and I won a sewing machine on EBay!! I got an LS-2125 Brother Sewing Machine for $66.00 and free shipping! I had been sending links to sewing machines I was interested in to Dinah for her expert opinion. Her input was very helpful and kept me from going with the wrong deal. This one I actually chose on my own. I decided to get in on the bidding at the last minute, and I hope I made a good decision. I'm excited to get stared on my sewing projects! Thanks Dinah for your help!

    ReplyDelete