Monday, July 12, 2010

Fabric Lover

One of my true loves is going to secondhand shops. During the summer I pass the hours browsing through consignment shops, Goodwill, and antique stores. This love of used items compliments my philosophy of the Three R's, and the hunt for a great deal :)

Today a good friend of mine and I went to Gilley's Antique Mall in Plainfield, IN. We spent the entire morning enjoying each other's company while hunting for nothing in particular. When I shop, especially in antique stores, I touch those things I am interested in. This serves a number of purposes, including sussing out the quality of items.

While we were shopping my friend, Sarah, says to me, "You are a fabric lover!" She noticed that I had been picking up all kinds of fabric and oooohing and awwwwing over them. I have never really thought of myself as a lover of fabrics, but after she said that, I had to agree. I am a Fabric Lover!

In years past I have been borrowing sewing machines from various family members with the intention of eventually buying one for myself . A couple years ago it was supposed to be a birthday present, then a Christmas gift, but I haven't gotten around to purchasing one yet.

But, upon being labeled as a Fabric Lover I feel it is my duty to get my own sewing machine. Sarah and I had visions of me using these beloved fabrics to make handbags, fabric napkins, pieces of art...the possibilities are endless.

So I am announcing myself as a Fabric Lover and soon-to-be owner of a sewing machine. I have so say, hours of browsing on Ebay is going to have to join my list of ways to buy secondhand items, because they have a ton of good deals on sewing machines!

6 comments:

  1. Keep us posted on the search for the sewing machine! That's exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see you sewing. I want to learn how to use one also! How fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should check out Craigslist too! I can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabric lover indeed! Good Luck on your sewing machine hunt :) What will be your first project?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer is quickly coming to an end, so you need to get that sewing machine NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love mine...I definitely recommend the Kenmore Model 15516. I know it wasn't very expensive and it was from Sears (it's the one I had at Chi O, so you may have even used it). It is wonderful; it has done extremely well on thick fabrics and button holes and even withstood Sarah Oblon's tootsie roll wrapper quilt!

    ReplyDelete