Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hen Weekend


This weekend I went to Chicago for my friend Hanna's Hen Weekend. I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to go, but I'm very glad that I did. Hanna is one of my Chi Omega sisters from Hanover whom I graduated with in 2003. I happened to be the only college friend who was able to make it for the weekend, which made it even more special for me to be there and celebrate with her :)

For those of you who know my driving preferences, you know that 1. I am directionally challenged and 2. I am more a rider rather than a driver. Because of these two things, I was very proud that I had accepted the invitation to drive myself up to Chicago. With Hanna's great directions and my impressive skills for following them, my drive up was joyfully uneventful.

Hanna's apartment/condo (I'm not sure what to call it since it is a unit inside a shared building that she owns with her fiance.) is everything that you would want in a Chicago home. The neighborhood is walking distance from the water and has local shops and restaurants that makes city life appealing. With community gardens and open invitations to backyard BBQs, they definitely live in a community where people care about their neighborhood and the people who live there.

Inside, Hanna has created a very comfy, inviting space where you feel right at home. Her ability to collect antiques and unique items and put them together is enviable. She is very creative and has a style that is all her own. Being around her, I hope her artistic skills rub-off on me!

We celebrated her wedding by having a Bridal Tea in the afternoon. Her sisters, Jessica and Emily, hosted the affair which they pulled off seamlessly. Everything from the food to the outdoor seating created a space where we could enjoy each other's company and celebrate Hanna's wedding. A few of my Chi Omega sisters went in with me on a gift for Hanna. We got her a indoor wall pouch to plant flowers in. The plants cascade over the side and create a "living wall" indoors. Very cool if I do say so myself! Also, for a more intimate present, we gave her a nightgown that can be worn throughout the house. She was very appreciative for both gifts.

I had known Jessica and Emily from their visits during college. It was nice to see them, and their mother PJ again. Also, Hanna's best friend from childhood, Erin, was at the shower, too. It was good to catch up with her. Congrats Erin on your baby! Hanna's upstairs and downstairs neighbors were at the shower, too, as were a few of her workmates. It was great to see that they appreciate Hanna as much as her XO sisters do!

Later on in the evening we went to dinner and a show ;) Our XO sisters have a tradition of signing and wearing a Bachelorette sash throughout our special evening. The sash started with Brandi and has lasted 7 years and now, including Hanna, 12 brides! Pam will be the last of us to wear the sash!

We ate at Carnivale, which is a Latin American/Spanish fusion restaurant with amazing atmosphere. It was certainly the place to be! I can confidently recommend their Empanadas de Maiz :) After dinner we went to the The Baton Club to see the Ladies perform. Through a network of friends, Hanna's upstairs neighbor got us GREAT seats to the show. The women were beautiful and I realized that femininity can be worn well by anyone. I was quite jealous of their stage presence and, of course, their bodies! I decided that if I were to have a gay son, I would take him there and encourage him to be proud of himself, however he chose to live his life! These girls had it goin' on!

Overall, it was a great weekend that made me appreciate Hanna for being a unique woman who has created a great life with her fiance! Congratulations to Hanna and Nate!


6 comments:

  1. Great post Sarah Lynn!! I love seeing Hanna in the sash and that our tradition lives on. Maybe there is another trip to Chicago in our futures??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Lynn, this is very well-written!! I am so glad you were able to make it, and I love to see the pictures of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great play-by-play...almost felt like I was there! The pictures are fabulous (especially the sash ones.) We definitely need to make a return trip to Chi-town soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Lynn, you are the best! Such a sweet post, and I was so glad to have you up for the weekend. It meant a lot to me that you made the trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog and pics too. thanks for sharing hen weekends memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas and interesting too. Looking forward to know more about Hen Party.

    ReplyDelete