Sunday, January 9, 2011

Resolutions

It seems like on most of the blogs I am following, the first post of 2011 starts out, "Sorry it has been so long. I've been so busy!" To this I reply, don't worry, I haven't opened my Google Reader account the last couple months anyway. No posts and no readers. It's OK. We'll just call it even. So, I won't apologize for not posting the last few months due to my busy schedule. You've probably not been around to read anyway ;)

A lot of bloggers have been sharing their New Year's Resolutions for 2011. I haven't been one to make resolutions in the past, but this year, after hearing the resolutions of a few people, I have decided to make my own.

It was interesting when I sat down to think about what I want to accomplish this coming year. There were so many things to consider; I felt like I needed a game plan. I could approach the process by thinking about areas of my life: food, housekeeping, sewing, exercise... This seemed logical, but then I realized that I couldn't just set a goal for the year, it had to be broken down into smaller time frames: weekly, monthly, seasonally...

If you set a weekly goal, you are meeting it, or not, 52 times a year. Monthly goals would be met, or not, 12 times per year...and seasonal items 4 times. It can be overwhelming to think that I would be assessed for success 52 times. So, I thought of approaching it as a sports team would their season. I figured, if, at the end of the year, I have a winning record, I will have successfully completed my resolutions. Seems logical that I will have some "losing" weeks, but if overall, I have more "winning" weeks than "losing" weeks, I can be proud of myself and consider my resolution accomplished.

Having chosen a strategy for making the goal (choosing an area and then a time frame) I had to decide what I really wanted to hold myself accountable for. I don't want to say that I will exercise 5 times per week, because I won't. A more interesting take on exercise would be: add a new activity to my routine. Exercising 5 times seems like a hard thing to do, but adding something new sounds like fun! It's all in the way you word it! So, one of my resolutions is to join a Pilates class once a week :) Exercise...DONE!

I completed this process with a few other areas of my life and feel like I have a plan for 2011. (I'm a planner, so this is very exciting to me!) I have a new notebook in which I have written my resolutions and plan to record my stats.

Bring it on 2011!!!

4 comments:

  1. Funny that this was also my thinking on my resolution this year too. I like your exercise goal a bit more than mine which was just to work out more than I did last year. Since by the end of 2010 it was usually only 2x a week, it should be pretty easy to meet mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, what a good approach, Sarah Lynn! Good idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you think! I thought about setting goals instead of resolutions since I always break resolutions but achieve goals. Let me know where you take Pilates. I love Pilates and do not do enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. I'm having the same troubles. Let's compare notes at the end of the year ;)

    ReplyDelete